Tilia


Tilia

Elsebeth Lavold's Designer's Choice Book Eight: The Enchanted Garden Collection

Yarn: Silky Wool color #2 used 6 skeins for size Small (pattern called for 5 skeins!!!)

Started July 30 and finished August 28, 2006

Comments: As far as sweaters go, this one ranks "feh". The pattern was well written and easy to follow and the yarn was very forgiving. I love the fabric, color, drape and the feel of the sweater, but it just didn't live up to my expectations. There were many warning signs along the way (see further comments here) that I ignored, but I think this is one of those instances where I was drawn in by how the garment looked on the model (whose figure is very different than mine). However, I did learn a few nifty techniques:

1. Instead of putting stitches on a holder, bind off in a different color yarn
2. Short row shaping without the wrap - it really worked! Just turn - how simple!




If the sweater looks a little lumpy and dumpy, it's because I wore it all day. At least it's an accurate representation. No trick photography here!

Other things I learned:

1. If the voices tell you that it isn't going to work, listen! No matter how much you knit, it wont get any better. Trust your instincts.
2. You will never be a stick insect of a girl. Love it or not, you have curves! Do not be lured in by skinny boy-shaped models.
3. If buying yarn at a closeout sale, get extra no matter what the pattern calls for. Especially if said yarn is $3 a skein!!

No comments: