We Call Them Pirates

Free pattern found here at Hello Yarn
Started January 31 and finished February 4, 2006
Yarn: Dale of Norway Tiur in colors 5573 and 4425 (black and hot
pink)


Comments: This was my first attempt at fair isle in preparation for my Olympic Challenge sweater (see below). I tried two-handed continental (I'm a thrower) and gave up when I saw that I could maintain more even tension using an awkward but effective drop and throw method. I didn't make any modifications to the pattern, but if I were to make another fair isle hat, I would use two circulars to close the crown: it was difficult to maintain even tension rounding the corners on the double points. Every time someone saw me knitting it, they said "But it's got skulls on it"! Like that was a bad thing! I mean they are pink after all. I wear it with irony.

No comments: